Though it astounds me whenever I meet a person who tells me "Oh, I don't read", it probably should not when most prefer to text. Speaking of texting, while I partake in this pastime frequently myself, allow me to state my overall view:
Texting and online chatting is destroying the majority of America's ability to read and write properly-including their verbal and social skills.
READ America! It's fabulous, I promise you! As proof, I offer this list of ten reasons how reading will improve your life:
- Reading improves your vocabulary. (Seriously, those of us who do partake of the pastime, can tell).
- Reading allows you to travel all over the world-if you have a library card, the journey is FREE!
- Reading stimulates the brain, keeping it active and assisting with memory issues.
- Did you know that a book can teach you how to fix a leaky faucet, speak a foreign language, or manage your finances in a more efficient manner? I do not lie.
- Reading reduces ignorance, and therefore potentially reduces racism, intolerance. (By saying you choose not to read is the same thing as saying you choose ignorance.)
- Reading is FUN! You just have to find the right books that you resonate with-ask different people what they are currently reading, and I bet you find something that piques your interest quickly.
- Reading can make you more employable.
- Reading helps you connect with family, especially if you turn it into a family pastime.
- Reading arms you with fantastic conversation starters!
- Reading is sexy.
Now you have ten perfectly good reasons to go pick up a book-new and exciting adventures await you!
If you have more reasons why everyone should read, I would love to hear about them-so please leave a comment!
As always, live life fearlessly.